Thursday 31 May 2007

Bower


This is a pic I took in Kabuki-Cho, which incidentally is the red light district of Tokyo. I went there because of David. Anyway, when I first saw it I wasn't sure what it might be, from a distance it just looked like a pile of garbage. Upon noticing the ribbons in the trees it struck me as maybe a makeshift shrine. However, it appears to be a homeless person's home, the most creative I'd seen.


Lots of homeless live in Ueno park and they mostly use blue plastic tarps for shelter. When I went there with Bek I saw a woman trying to reach a branch to pick some of it's berries. I don't know what kind they were but I reached up and pulled it within arm's length for her. She hurriedly spit out the berries she had in her mouth and grabbed some more. The thing is she didn't look homeless at all, maybe she just liked berries. Most Japanese homeless are very presentable and you wouldn't necessarily guess them as being homeless.

No comments: